A First Date to Remember


Walking onto the train, I could feel my heart racing a thousand beats a minute, my stomach exploding with butterflies and my nerves trembling through my body. I looked down as the doors opened, carefully watching my black boots step onto the carriage. I took a deep breath and looked either side, not sure where he would be. I was questioning everything. Should I be wearing all black on a first date? Does this leather jacket make me look frumpy? Why am I meeting someone I’ve never met before? Will he even like me? Am I wasting my time, or his for that matter?

When I turned to my right, I saw him immediately, he was walking down to meet me. He was much taller than I had thought, and much more handsome. We embraced, and his arms around my slender body made me feel at ease immediately, I felt safe, and little did I know at the time that's how he'd make me feel for the next two years. 

We both took a seat, opposite one another, both making small talk. I tried not to let on too much that I was checking him out, looking at every feature carefully. His green eyes, small but you could most defiantly get lost in them. His smile, a warm and inviting one with dimples prominent either side. I smiled to myself, thinking how lucky I had been to go on a date with him.

We went bowling, simple and predictable, but it had created the biggest smile on my face.
I went first, and my attempt at throwing the ball, the lightest ball may I add, was rather embarrassing, made worse after he threw his and smashed it. I threw the ball again, landing straight in the gutter. I turned around, hands covering my embarrassed and defeated face, and there he was to give me a little reassuring side cuddle. Perhaps a little awkward at the time, but nevertheless the butterflies were still having a party in my stomach. 

Throughout the whole game, I could feel him checking me out, especially looking at my bum, which turned out to be his favourite part of my body. He, of course, won the game, unsurprisingly. Not wanting to admit defeat and call myself a loser, we had ago on the snooker (spoiler alert I lost) and the air hockey, although I was very close to winning, he won just before the game finished. You thought he might of let me win one game, but I guess that became my mission after that night: to actually win at something. 

 The whole time on the train back home, we were laughing and grinning; this time he sat next to me, our knees touching. I remember how much I wanted to kiss him, his red lips, slightly pursed looked so inviting, yet I kept nervously looking down at my hands, biting my bottom lip to try and hide the nerves. I felt his gaze on me, as if he was watching every movement I made. I heard my stop called, and my heart dropped. I had never wanted something to continue so much and I guess he had felt the same. He got off at my stop too, although his stop was only two more away. We sat down on the old wooden benches at my station, talking, flirting and getting to know one another better. That bench witnessed the first few months of a blossoming relationship.

Although I wasn’t so sure at the time if I’d ever see that handsome green-eyed boy again, I walked all the way home on that frosty night with a grin from ear to ear, something that had not appeared on my face for far too long.

Low and behold, when I got home and checked my phone which hadn't left my pocket from the moment I went on the date, he had text already.

 It was the start of something memorable.

- Meg 

Comments

Popular Posts