A Tinder Date, An Angry Ex and a Heartbreak


I've not been on too many first dates where it's been spontaneous or not led to much more however this was one of those. 

I had just broken up with my boyfriend (the one after my first love) and I was on Tinder scrolling through, trying to get somewhat of a confidence boost as I was extremely down in the dumps.
I had received a message from a guy asking if he could take me out for a drink some time. Usually I'd chat to the guy a little first, see if there could be some chemistry there to at least avoid somewhat of an awkward conversation, but instead I took the bull by the horns and decided to spontaneously reply with "you free tonight?". I'm not one for spontaneous meeting with strangers nor would I recommend however receiving a text that crushed my heart from my ex pushed me in this direction. 

There was no time for pre-date nerves, I got ready and off I headed to a quaint little pub in the lanes. The fairy lights setting the tone for a nice intimate date, the wooden benches and tables with fresh flowers and candles to accompany. A perfect first date location: chosen by him - so props to him. First initial meeting was a little awkward - do we go in for a hug or a simple hello? We settled for the hug. Usually at this point I'd bring up a conversation we'd previously spoken about but due to my mini breakdown earlier and trying to prove I was desirable to my ex, I was in a new, unfamiliar setting. The conversation began and it was okay, nothing to interesting but nothing to send me to sleep either.

I sipped my glass of wine, eyeing him up and decided I did not find him attractive what so ever. So there I was, heartbroken, on a date with a stranger I was not attracted to and drowning my sorrows with alcohol. Classic girl after a breakup. 

As we got talking, the classic "so have you met anyone else from tinder?" question came up. This is where it got juicy. He proceeded to tell me he had previously been on a date with a girl from Tinder, who suggested they go clubbing during their date, once there she kept leaving him and by the end of the night she was kissing someone else! Well that is a shitty way to end a date. So as long as the night didn't end like that, I'm sure anything would have been better for him. Although the story, sad for him, it made a good joke for the rest of the evening about how I wouldn't go kissing someone else while still on the date. Something to ease the tension slightly.

As the alcohol slowly set in, the go-to indie music playing in the background, I slowly felt myself having the desire to go clubbing: it was indie night at my favourite club after all. I knew all my friends would be either with their boyfriends, or tucked up in bed by this point, but I was already out with someone so why not? 

I'm not quite sure how I managed to convince him that it would be a good idea to go clubbing after his previous experience - maybe it was my great allure (as if) but we ended up at my favourite club, dancing and singing away. (Do not advice)

As the night proceeded, a disaster struck. A previous guy I dated for a fair few months was there. I slowly started to panic knowing his psycho tendencies coming out if he spotted me (don't worry I'm sure there will be a letter to him at some point). I put my head down, trying to enjoy the music still and avoid any drama. Maybe this date would be worse for him than when a girl kissed another guy. 

I was on edge the rest of the night, looking over my shoulder, downing more alcohol. Why did I think this was a good idea? I did manage to avoid him, however his friends spotted me as I left, I then proceeded to get many angry text messages the next day calling me many names. *block*

Of course, fate nor luck was on my side this night but of course, my other ex was there. Luckily he did not see me, nor I did him but he did do the honours of letting me know he was there. After that, I thought it was best to leave before I had two men arguing at me and the poor boy I brought along trapped in the middle. 

Luckily, I got out of there without any exes seeing me - smashed it, giggling and laughing - oh and free drinks all night! (I don't usually let the guy pay, and I usually offer to go dutch but he was very persistent) 

Sadly, although he asked me round for dinner to his some time, I was too caught up with my ex and really not ready to start seeing someone so soon. Plus he wasn't my type. But at least he could walk away knowing I didn't kiss anyone else in front of him - so I guess that's good, right?

- Meg

Comments

Popular Posts